Re: st: MIXLOGIT: marginal effects

Subject   Re: st: MIXLOGIT: marginal effects
Date   Thu, 9 Feb 2012 17:28:45 -0500

Richard Williams said:

"I was wondering where this support for the LPM was coming from! I was wondering where this support for the LPM was coming from! However, when you compare LPM with Logit/AMEs, my experience is the AMEs are often similar to the LPM estimates, at least if the model isn't too complicated. Perhaps that is the basis of the argument for those who say if you are going to use marginal effects after logit, you might as well use LPM?"

Actually, support for LPMs has a much longer pedigree.  I first saw them mentioned in DR Cox's book Analysis of Binary Data (1970).  I don't have that edition any more, but the second edition, by Cox and Snell (1989), repeats the relevant section and states (p.22) that the linear and arcsine transformations of probabilities agree with the probit and logit "reasonably well when the probability of success is between 0.1 and 0.9."  There is a reference to Naylor (1963 -the book says "1964", a typo). When the circumstances have been right, I've looked for well-fitting linear probability models and, occasionally, have found them.  They've served well in some difference-in-difference studies where, otherwise, the target logistic parameter would be a ratio of odds ratios. Nowadays  AMEs allow one to interpret findings on the probability scale, so I look to them first.

Steve

Reference: NAYLOR, A. F. (1963). Comparisons of regression constants fitted by maximum likelihood to four common transformations of binomial data*. Annals of Human Genetics, 27(3), 241–246.