Re: st: imputing data values using hotdeck

To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu, "statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu" <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   Re: st: imputing data values using hotdeck
Date   Thu, 09 Feb 2012 17:03:51 -0500

At 12:59 PM 2/9/2012, Krohmer, Anne (MDH) wrote:
Hi, I am working with STATA version 10 and I have some problems using the hotdeck imputation command. I am using survey data and several respondents (~100) were not asked a question that they actually should have been asked so I need to impute these values. However, this variable also has about 10,000 other missing values. How do I impute the variables just for these 100 cases and not impute the other missing cases? I have a variable that flags which cases these are. Any thoughts? Our resident Stata expert is out of the office today. Thanks!

Assuming we are talking about the same command (hotdeck is user written, right?), hotdeck has an -if- option for selecting cases. So, I assume you could use that to exclude the 10,000 other cases.

As a sidelight, I just noticed that Stata 12 distinguishes between "soft" missing and "hard" missing, where hard missing is .a, .b, etc. The mi command does not impute values for cases with hard missing. That sounds like it would be very helpful for cases like this, or for when you want to treat "not applicable" differently from "No Answer."

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu
WWW:    http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam