Re: st: RE: a question on averaging in Stata

From   "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: RE: a question on averaging in Stata
Date   Wed, 8 Feb 2012 14:30:50 +0000 (GMT)

Dear Nick,

thanks a lot for your feedback. The information was very useful. I have one additional question that relates to estimating a group median excluding observation i. I have looked at the article that you have referred to, but I got stuck with writing the code for the case of medians.

Again I have a panel data with items i observed over several years t for variable x. I need to estimate the median of this variable for each year. However I have to estimate a specific median: for each item i I have to estimate
the median value of x but excluding the observation for item i itself: i.e. the median over the other objects (if I could label them
-i).
I found this technically more challenging compared to the estimation of means.  I have started with the following code - I used as example one of the codes that you have shared with us in your article. But I cannot find a way to isolate item i from the median calculation.

Could you please help me with that? I would like to thank you in advance.

Kind regards,
Rado

 generate maxvar = .
  by year, sort: gen pid = _n
 summarize pid
 . quietly forvalues i = 1/`r(max)' {
 .       generate include = 1 if pid != `i'
 .       egen work = median(idio * include), by(year)
 .       replace maxvar = work if pid == `i'
 .       drop include work
 . }