st: RE: dropping integers from id variable

From   "Ben Hoen" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: dropping integers from id variable
Date   Mon, 6 Feb 2012 09:41:08 -0500

I assume they are not strings, but rather numbers, therefore you could try:

. tostring id2, replace
. replace id2=subinstr(id2,"0","",.)

If they are strings then you could use only the second line.

Ben Hoen
Office: 845-758-1896
Cell: 718-812-7589

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of marcos stata
Sent: Monday, February 06, 2012 9:03 AM
Subject: st: dropping integers from id variable

Dear Statalisters,

I need to merge two datasets. The problem I have is that one the id
of the master contains zeros (id2) and the other does not (id1). For
example, for
one observation I have: id1 = 718258, and id2 710820050008. My basic
question is: how can I get rid of the zeros of id2 so that I can do a
one-to-one merge using the id variables? Which is the function I need to

Thanks in advance,