st: dropping integers from id variable

From   marcos stata <>
Subject   st: dropping integers from id variable
Date   Mon, 6 Feb 2012 15:03:28 +0100

Dear Statalisters,

I need to merge two datasets. The problem I have is that one the id
of the master contains zeros (id2) and the other does not (id1). For
example, for
one observation I have: id1 = 718258, and id2 710820050008. My basic
question is: how can I get rid of the zeros of id2 so that I can do a
one-to-one merge using the id variables? Which is the function I need to use?

Thanks in advance,