Re: st: MIXLOGIT: marginal effects

From   Arne Risa Hole <arnehole@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: MIXLOGIT: marginal effects
Date   Mon, 6 Feb 2012 13:18:34 +0000

Dear Davide,

I haven't created a module for calculating marginal effects after
-mixlogit- but this can be done using simulation as follows:

1) Use -mixlpred- to calculate predicted probabilities in the base scenario

2) Increase the relevant variable by 1 unit for all individuals in the sample

3) Use -mixlpred- to calculate predicted probabilities in the
alternative scenario

4) Calculate the difference between the predicted probabilities in 1)
and 3) and average this difference over individuals. This gives you an
estimate of the marginal effect.

The drawback of this approach is that it does not give you standard
errors. In principle you could use the bootstrap but since mixed logit
models typically take long to estimate this is usually not practical.

I hope this helps.

Arne (author of -mixlogit-)