st: How to drop low frequency patterns from panel data

From   Kim Peeters <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: How to drop low frequency patterns from panel data
Date   Fri, 3 Feb 2012 01:22:57 -0800 (PST)

Dear Statalist users,

I have an unbalanced panel data set. The yearly data spans a period of almost twenty years. However, most subjects only participated in the last years of the study, which is confirmed by the analysis of the different panel patterns using -xtdescribe-. While some patterns' frequency is >1000, other patterns only occur once. To improve the data quality, I would like to drop all patterns that occur less than twenty times.

I have not been able to accomplish this. Thus far, I can only re-generate the -xtdescribe- output again.
egen tag =tag(ID)
tabulate pattern if tag, sort

Any advice on how to drop low frequency patterns from panel data?

Thank you!

Best regards,