AW: st: RE: Use of data originating from SPSS

From   "Kaulisch, Marc" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   AW: st: RE: Use of data originating from SPSS
Date   Fri, 3 Feb 2012 09:21:07 +0100

I had some conversation with SPSS Technical Staff in January 2010 - and at that time SPSS (PASW 18) was only able to read Stata 8 compatible files - my guess they are only writing those as well. Maybe this causes the problem?

I do not know if SPSS 20 has increased capabilities of reading and writing Stata 9 or higher files...

Marc

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von Margaret MacDougall
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 2. Februar 2012 23:07
An: [email protected]
Cc: MacLennan, Graeme
Betreff: Re: st: RE: Use of data originating from SPSS

By way of an update, I have also applied the latest patch so as to upgrade to SPSS 19.0.0.2 and then re-saved in Stata format using the SPSS dialogue box. However, this has not eliminated my original error message pointing to there be "no observations" for my "statistical calculation".
==
Dear Graeme

Thanks for your message.  I had already applied the necessary patch to version  19.0.0 of SPSS to convert to version 19.0.0.1. In fact, if you don't apply this patch, you will not be able to obtain a Stata copy of your data, even though there is an SPSS dialogue box which dupes you into thinking you have saved your data successfully in Stata fromat.

With the above patch applied, I would have expected things to have gone more smoothly.

Best wishes

Margaret
On 02/02/2012 07:50, MacLennan, Graeme wrote:

> Margaret, in addition to the advice already given, a quick aside. You do not state what version of SPSS you used to save .dta files, but the first release of version 19 had a bug in it which caused problems when translating to .dta.  This was fixed in the first update.  But -usespss- (SSC) gets round any problems.
> Regards, Graeme. (A fellow SPSS-to-Stata migrant).

Dr Margaret MacDougall
Medical Statistician and Researcher in Education Centre for Population Health Sciences University of Edinburgh Medical School Teviot Place Edinburgh EH8 9AG

Tel:  +44 (0)131 650 3211
Fax:  +44 (0)131 650 6909
E-mail:  [email protected]
http://www.chs.med.ed.ac.uk/cphs/people/staffProfile.php?profile=mmacdoug