st: -weight- spss: weight by -- telling stata the weight

From   David Cefskimal <david.cefskimal@googlemail.com>
Subject   st: -weight- spss: weight by -- telling stata the weight
Date   Thu, 2 Feb 2012 20:46:07 +0100

dear statalist,

please help with hopefully simple problem:

imagine that you have 4 variables in your dataset

weight
age
sex
country

in spss if you say "weight by weight" computer will know, that now all
your variables should be multiplied with the variable weight. so in
your computer's "mind" the new dataset will look like:

age*weight
sex*weight
country*weight

in stata there is nothing like that? Do I really need to generate
variables I use with weights each time, like
gen (v1)=v11*w1

THANKS