st: spmat idistance error

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: spmat idistance error
Date   Wed, 01 Feb 2012 08:23:56 -0600

Ajita Atreya <[email protected]> has a question about the user-written
-spmat- command:

> I could eventually create an inverse distance matrix....
> However, when I tried to use my matrix in spreg command I got the following
> error message after running for about 9hrs.
> SPMAT_matop(): 3900  out of memory
> SPIVREG_main(): -  function returned error
> <istmt>: -  function returned error
> I wanted to check if Mac version of stata would work for me. Unfortunately,
> I got an error message:
> "Division by zero: Two or more spatial units have same coordinates" when I
> used the code: spmat idistance idoug longitude latitude,id(_ID)
> dfunction(dhaversine) normalize(minmax) vtruncate(1/.1) banded.

If Ajita can send me the code and the dataset privately, I will be more than
happy to look at the issues and report back to the Statalist.

We do not allow two different spatial units to have the same coordinates, as
the inverse distance between units sharing coordinates is not defined.

--Rafal