Re: st: RE: Panel data

From   Klaus Pforr <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Panel data
Date   Wed, 01 Feb 2012 13:13:58 +0100

<>

Dear James,

you can aggregate the duplicates by adding them up to one observation per year within firm. Alternatively, you can assume an order in time more fine grained than years (or find data supporting this assumption), to have e.g. firm X quarter data.

There is also statistical detail connected to this:
If you don't use lagged or lead variables and you don't specify a correlation in the error structure and you don't use first-difference-models (or similar models), you can ignore the time completely. For many nondynamic panel models you basically only compare coincidences of the dependent variable and the independent variables, regardless of the time order. You indicate with the id which observation belongs to the same panel/cluster with the same heterogeneity.
In practical terms this means that you only specify id with xtset:
xtset firmid

I guess if you stick to the utility functions provided by Stata, you will either be able to compute the model you want as you apparently do not need the time order or you will run in an error, as you will have to specify a time order with xtset (e.g. tsfill)

best

Klaus