st: Panel data

From   Alexander James <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Panel data
Date   Wed, 1 Feb 2012 07:52:32 -0200

Dear Statalist members,

I am working on a database that has firm year observations. Each observation regards the degree of familiarity that a firm has with a new acquired technology. Accordingly the dependent variable measures the number of new products released in year t2.

I am trying to run a FE or RE model capturing the effects of familiarity on the dependent variable (Probably a negative binomial). However, the problem is that I have multiple observations per year. In other words, the same firm may acquire more than one technology in the same year, that will have different degrees of familiarity.

When I try to run the xtset firm_id year, I get the message repeated time values within panel. I read some topics explaining how to correct in case it is a mistake, but in my setting that is how the data really is.

Would someone have any suggestion how to approach this issue?

Best Regards,

Alexandre James