RE: st: Calculating an Index

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Calculating an Index
Date   Tue, 24 Jan 2012 14:54:38 +0000

You've asked me in public; so I will decline this invitation in public.

There is an important underlying point in principle. Statalist is a discussion list, not a help line. It depends absolutely on people contributing exactly as they wish. This may and will often seem capricious: some questions are ignored, some answered with extraordinarily good and full help. Some people contribute almost every day, some occasionally, and many not at all. That's all a consequence of, and a description of, freedom to contribute as and when you want.

If and when people start saying that they particularly request the help of X on this, all that is undermined. People could start to say, "Maarten Buis is a star on this and as a special favour I would appreciate his looking at my question", or Bill Gould, or any other named person. All that would do, beyond any mild or strong flattery implied, is just change the flavour of the list, put extra pressure on extraordinarily busy people, and so forth.

It also follows that no one need explain why they don't want to (continue to) contribute to a thread. People can be too busy, no longer interested, not understand the further questions, feel they have nothing extra to say, feel it is a case for more self-help, be in a bad mood, whatever; no matter, that's your private reason.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Pavlos C. Symeou
Sent: 24 January 2012 14:05
To: [email protected]
Cc: Nick Cox
Subject: Re: st: Calculating an Index

Dear Nick,

thank you the advice. I 've just ordered Kit Baum's book and
started looking into the Mata reference manual that comes with
Stata. But before I manage to reach a satisfactory level of
programming competence that will allow me to deal with this and
future problems I would appreciate it if for this time you could
help me with the solution. Hopefully, this will be the last time I
have to ask for assistance:)

Best wishes,

Pavlos