RE: st: RE: Non-linear multilevel modeling

From   Nick Cox <>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Non-linear multilevel modeling
Date   Wed, 7 Dec 2011 19:28:44 +0000

My -transint- (a SSC package which is just a single help file) includes some discussion of transformations for percents and proportions.

Cameron McIntosh

I would guess that most of the percents in this case are between 0 and 100... but if there are some 0s, perhaps some of the methods developed by our friends who sort and count cells might help:
Bagwell, C.B. (2005). Hyperlog-a flexible log-like transform for negative, zero, and positive valued data. Cytometry Part A, 64(1), 34-42.

Parks, D.R., Roederer, M., & Moore, W.A. (2006). A New "Logicle" Display Method Avoids Deceptive Effects of Logarithmic Scaling for Low Signals and Compensated Data. Cytometry Part A, 69, 541-551.
Frelinger, J., Kepler, T.B., & Chan, C. (2008). Flow: Statistics, visualization and informatics for flow cytometry. Source Code for Biology and Medicine 2008, 3(10).

although I've never seen these used in regression in social science contexts. Anyway, thought this might be of interest.