Re: st: Chi-Square produces consistent Type I error for large sample

From   Steve Samuels <>
Subject   Re: st: Chi-Square produces consistent Type I error for large sample
Date   Tue, 29 Nov 2011 19:18:23 -0500

I agree with Richard.

That said, I suspect that you are using the Uncorrected chi square, which is known to reject too often. Use the Design-based F p-value instead. Also, if you have -svyset- your data incorrectly (with the wrong PSU, for example), this could also lead to spuriously small p-values.

If you want further help I suggest that you follow the FAQ guideines (show exactly what you typed and what Stata did): describe your data;  show us the -svyset-  statement; the results of -svydes-; the -svy: tab-statement and results for an association that appears to be "too significant".