st: Mean of interval-censored data

From   Paul von Hippel <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Mean of interval-censored data
Date   Sun, 27 Nov 2011 11:28:58 -0600

I am interested in using the intcens command for Stata to model an
income distribution. I wonder if I can ask for your advice on how the
program handles weights, and on whether it can output expected values.
Many thanks for your time.

I have interval-censored data on the distribution of family income
within various school districts. The data for one district are below
my signature. bin_min and bin_max are the endpoints of the interval
(the top interval has only one endpoint), and fb is the number of
families in the interval. I would like to estimate the distribution of
income and derived quantities, most importantly the mean.

Two questions, if I may:
1. Will intcens provide me the mean income, or will I need to
calculate it from the parameters of the distribution?
2. It looks to me as though intcens can handle weights through a
command like this: "intcens bin_min bin_max fb". But if this is the
syntax, how can intcens tell that fb is a weight and not a regressor?

Finally: Is there a different command that I should be using for this purpose?
Thanks for any advice.

Best wishes,
Paul von Hippel

fb    bin_min    bin_max