RE: st: model selection using information criteria with xtlsdvc or xtabond2

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: model selection using information criteria with xtlsdvc or xtabond2
Date   Wed, 23 Nov 2011 17:50:35 +0000

One reason why many people who don't know Japanese just say and write AIC!

A story's been told often but may be new to some.

The fact that "AIC" starts with "A" for "Akaike" is just an accident, although it seems evident and natural in retrospect. Originally "AIC" was just a name in a FORTRAN program, and the "A" was Akaike's programmer's way of signalling that what was named held real (in general non-integer) values given a default that anything beginning with "I" (among other letters) held integers only. Had the programmer chosen the alternative of

REAL IC

then I suppose people could still be using "AIC",  but for the right reason.

Marcello Pagano

Last I met him we pronounced it
A-ka-ee-ke     (no emphases)
Hope we did not insult him :-)
(He, of course, was too polite to correct us!!)
m.p.