Re: st: testing for bimodality in survey data

From   Joerg Luedicke <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: testing for bimodality in survey data
Date   Thu, 10 Nov 2011 11:14:53 -0500

I agree with Nick's general remarks on bimodality.

Dana, we do not have any background information on your project, but -
generally speaking - only "testing" whether a distribution is bimodal
or not looks like an empty excercise to me. Important is to understand
the nature of your distribution, i.e. how is it shaped and what are
possible explanations for it being shaped in a certain way. To
illustrate this, consider the following example for the measurement of
height, sampled from a population that contained male and female
humans.

When using the height measurement from the nhanes data and plot a
kernel density, the distribution does not look exactly bimodal at
first sight. That is because the difference between the means of the
two distributions (for men and women) is somewhat too small in
relation to their variances. So, for the sake of
argument/illustration, let's just make the sampled men a bit taller
(b). We can then estimate the density (c) and clearly find evidence
for the distribution of height being bimodal, indicating a mixture of
two normal distributions (as we assume at this point, one for male and
one for female heights). We can now go ahead and fit a mixture model
for two components to estimate the parameters for the mixed
distributions (d). In this case the results look very reasonable and
we if we crosstab the actual gender with the classification (d), we
see that around 95% of men and women are correctly classified. In
addition, we could also go ahead and plot the probability density
function for the bimodal distribution, using the parameters that we
estimated with the mixture model (e).

So all this seems to make a lot of sense and we can conclude that the
distribution at hand is bimodal and that the bimodality is caused by a
mixture of two Gaussian distributions, revolving around males and
females. Now, in reality, solutions are not always as clear and there
is often not as much previous knowledge available. However, given this
example, I wonder what it would help to formally "test" whether the
distribution is bimodal or not (or whatever the null-hypothesis would
be in such a "test", I do not know)? Given our example, I guess any
such test would give you a green light regarding bimodality because of
the clear-cut solution. However, we already knew it was bimodal and we
also could explain it reasonably, so the "test" would not add a lot of
information. Likewise, what if the "test" gave a red light? Clearly,
the test result would not make a lot of sense. Something similar
applies to small differences of the modes/means. If there is not much
of a bimodal distribution to detect and neither is there a theory nor
previous knowledge that would lead to a reasonable expectation of
bimodality, and now the test says "green", what would that mean? On
the other hand, if you have a strong theory/knowledge upon which you
expect a bimodal distribution and you could also detect it in the
data, but the test says "red", well, I would still go with the
theoretically guided solution. Often it is just a good idea to do more
data exploration and checking, than "testing".

/*Example*/

//a) data
webuse nhanes2, clear

//(b) let's make men a bit taller, for the sake of argument
clonevar height2=height
replace height2=height2+10 if sex==1

//(c) inspecting the distribution using an adaptive kernel estimate
//and saving 1000 grid point at which the density is evaluated
kdens height2, adapt n(1000) g(den grid)

//(d) now we can fit a mixture model, assuming bimodality
fmm height2, comp(2) mix(normal)
fmmlc, savec
tab sex _class_1, row

//(e) and can plot a probability density function using the parameters
//and mixing probabilities as estimated from the ML fit (using the
//grid that we saved earlier)
mat par=e(b)
gen mlmix=(e(pi1_est)*normalden(grid, par[1,1], e(sigma1_est)))+ ///
(e(pi2_est)*normalden(grid, par[1,2], e(sigma2_est)))
line mlmix grid, title("ML fit") ytitle("Density")

/*End*/

Joerg