RE: st: testing for bimodality in survey data

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: testing for bimodality in survey data
Date   Thu, 10 Nov 2011 08:37:40 +0000

Joerg has in effect already answered your question. Bimodality implies some generating process that is bimodal, so should you want to investigate it formally, it is arguably best to think up a model with that kind of behaviour as one possibility and then estimate its parameters.

For the most part, I have found that bimodality is convincing if and only if (a) it shows up consistently on density estimates with a range of kernels and a range of kernel widths and (b) there is some substantive expectation of a mix of two kinds (males and females, whatever).

Dana Shills

Thank you Joerg. That was very helpful. If I understand this correctly, once you have the kdens plot you can visually see if there are two modes. So there is no statistical test thatconfirms the number of modes in the distribution?