RE: st: New package -use10save9- available on SSC

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: New package -use10save9- available on SSC
Date   Wed, 2 Nov 2011 19:15:55 +0000

Thanks for the reply.

I wonder whether you are confusing quite distinct issues.

When you get access to Stata 12, you will clearly be able to read Stata 12 files and use -save, old- to make them available to Stata 9 (among other versions).

Also, whether your program requires Stata 12 is not the question. It does not: it requires version 9 and should therefore run in Stata 12.

What is now my main question is completely different, namely whether your program can allow Stata 9 users to read Stata 12 files, which I take to be implied by the claim that "use10save9 is a program that helps out with opening Stata 10+ files from within Stata 9 and then saving them in Stata 9 format (using use10 and save9)" if and only if "10+" is interpreted to include 12.

If you don't intend to imply 12, you just need to fix your help file.

Otherwise the way to answer this is to test it, and I have to say (again) that I can't see how you can do it, but a simple refutation by showing me that you can do it will oblige to say very publicly that I am mistaken. A crucial detail is that -use10- (SSC), which you use, was written in 2008 and so necessarily quite unaware of later changes to Stata's dataset format.

Lars Ängquist

Dear Nick.

Many thanks for your comments.

As you indicate the primary use of -use10save9- should be, and was planned
to be, to facilitate for the Stata 9 user to in a one-command way being able
to transfer multiple files from e.g. Stata 10 format to a format that would
be readable for such a user. (An aside is that this was initialized by an
actual need, from one time to another, for some Stata users at the Institute
where I work, where in fact still quite a few users are using Stata 9.)

Initially I designed the program to simply use Stata's built-in -save-
function when, after each loading of a matched file, re-saving the file
and hence to make it useful strictly from Stata 9-only, but then I noticed
on
Statalist that (an update to)  -save9- was made available and hence thought
that I could perhaps add a secondary application addressing this task from,
so to say, the other way around in the sense of facilitating a one-command
option to, from e.g. Stata 10, calling the program in order to save a
matched
set of files in an older-than-used format (instead of loading, and
re-saving, files
having a more recent-than-used format). Admittedly, this task should also be
directly solvable by usage of the in-built duo -save- and -saveold- but I
here
considered this approach to be quite convenient in the sense of not having
check the user-version; since e.g. -saveold- and -save- then appeared to be
appropriate for the task from Stata 10 and Stata 9 respectively.
(Another aside, originally I thought that -saveold- used from within Stata
12
would not save data in a format readable from Stata 9 since the Stata 12
format
was described as a new format, and hence here introduce further
complications
in this sense, but I later found out that I was probably mistaken in that
case,
see e.g. http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/commaold.html.)

Regarding the usage of -use10- and Stata versions, the command at least
seem to be working for Stata 11.2 (which I currently run) and my only
defense
in this respect is that I, admittedly somewhat naively, assumed that it
would
perhaps also work in Stata 12 based on the information stated in the
help-file
that the program will in fact use the standard -use- in cases of not
recognizing the
Stata 10 format and hence then assumingly work also for these cases.
I have unfortunately not had the possibility to test this myself in Stata
12,
since it is currently not available to me, but I would be very grateful if
someone did that and - if not working properly - I would happily update
the -use10save9- help-file in order to state that it then requires Stata
9/10/11.

I do not claim any other functionality of -use10save9- than the primary and
secondary ones outlined above (except for some limited side-effect
possibilities
of renaming multiple files, but for such purposes I would perhaps recommend
another of my functions -renfiles- available on SSC).

With best wishes & regards  /  Lars Ängquist