Re: st: RE: save9.ado updated to run in Stata 12

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: save9.ado updated to run in Stata 12
Date   Tue, 25 Oct 2011 11:25:47 +0100

This may sound an attractive aim, but you omit, perhaps because it is
obvious to you, an explanation that -save9- does not, and can not, do
all that your opening sentence proclaims. specifically  let "any
version of Stata save the dataset into a specific version number".

First, -save9- requires Stata 8 up. Second, any -save- to what can be
read by an older version omits data details that make no sense to that
version (there are partial exceptions, I think, but that's the
pattern). Whether that is important will vary. Third, you can at most
-save- to the same format or downwards. Fourth, any given Stata
version as far as I am aware only offers handles to -save- to the
current format and the previous so the fact that your program works on
Stata 8 up doesn't give it that much flexibility because the
particular version it runs on will have only two choices.

I am with Joerg on this: I don't understand the rationale of -save9-.
(I am generously credited with a code comment, but I still don't
understand the aim.)  If I am missing something, I would be glad to
know.

Nick