st: RE: save9.ado updated to run in Stata 12

From   Marco Ercolani <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: save9.ado updated to run in Stata 12
Date   Wed, 26 Oct 2011 13:09:39 +0100

Dear Nick,

Apologies for the failure to specify the Stata-8 limitation of the procedure.
The help file for save9 does start with the statement "save9 - Save dataset
in Stata-9 format regardless of whether Stata 9, 10, 11 or 12 is being run."
and there is also a later note about the fact that it "... will also work in
Stata-8 ...". I hope this satisfies the first point.

With regard to the second point. I admit this is a humble attempt at Stata
programming but I hope it is not entirely without merit. It all started out
when I was trying a version-independent way of saving data to the Stata-9
format at the end of do files I was sharing with co-authors who were running
different versions of Stata. I did attempt the obvious approach of:
 version 9.2
 save Data.dta, replace
However, the version command has no effect on save command. I therefore
needed a sequence of commands based on the "c(stata_version)" code do
identify which version any user was running. At this point it just became
obvious to write this up in an .ado file and share it.

yours,
 Marco.