st: RE: Missing Observations

From   Nick Cox <n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk>
Subject   st: RE: Missing Observations
Date   Wed, 26 Oct 2011 15:12:24 +0100

What kind of solution do you seek? -tsfill- is not an imputation command. In any time series context, you could consider interpolation, but then you delude yourself if you think that adds information that is not there at present. In practice, your best solution may be to inspect the pattern of missings and use as far as possible predictor variables with few missings. If missingness tends to be common to several variables there is no real way to improve upon or even avoid what you have described.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

John Ebireri

Im having a problem with missing observations in my panel data set. Im using the System GMM estimator and while i get some fairly good estimates, i notice that less that 50 per cent of my data is used in this estimation. What can i do to handle the problem of missing data in panel data analysis? I tried the 'tsfill' but i dont think it works for this purpose. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks.

John.