Re: st: Repeated Measures ANOVA and Missing Values

From   Cameron McIntosh <[email protected]>
To   STATA LIST <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Repeated Measures ANOVA and Missing Values
Date   Mon, 17 Oct 2011 00:58:11 -0400

Do you really believe that the missing values are MCAR in this case (as you must assume with listwise deletion/ignoring cases)? I think you run the risk of biased estimates if you go that route. Why not use multiple imputation instead?

Marchenko, Y. (2010). Multiple-imputation analysis using Stata’s mi command. Stata Conference, Boston 2010.
http://www.stata.com/meeting/boston10/boston10_marchenko.pdf

Marchenko, Y. (2011). Chained equations and more in multiple imputation in Stata 12. 2011 UK Stata Users Group Meeting.
http://repec.org/usug2011/UK11_Marchenko.pdf

Royston, P. (2009). Multiple imputation of missing values: Further update of ice, with an emphasis on categorical variables. The Stata Journal 9(3), 466–477.
http://www.stata-journal.com/article.html?article=st0067_4http://ideas.repec.org/c/boc/bocode/s446602.html

van Buuren, S. (2010). Item Imputation Without Specifying Scale Structure. Methodology, 6(1), 31–36.
http://www.stefvanbuuren.nl/publications/Item%20imputation%20-%20Methodology%202010.pdf

van Buuren, S. & Groothuis-Oudshoorn, K. (March 26, 2011). Multivariate Imputation by Chained Equations: Package ‘mice’, Version 2.8.
http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/mice/mice.pdfhttp://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/mice/index.html

Van Buuren, S., & Groothuis-Oudshoorn, K. (2011). MICE: Multivariate Imputation by Chained Equations in R. Journal of Statistical Software, forthcoming.

http://www.stefvanbuuren.nl/publications/MICEinR-Draft.pdf

Van Buuren, S., Brand, J.P.L., Groothuis-Oudshoorn C.G.M., & Rubin, D.B. (2006). Fully conditional specification in multivariate imputation. Journal of Statistical Computation and Simulation, 76(12), 1049–1064.
http://www.stefvanbuuren.nl/publications/FCSinmultivariateimputation-JSCS2006.pdf

Van Buuren, S. (2007). Multiple imputation of discrete and continuous data by fully conditional specification. Statistical Methods in Medical Research, 16, 3, 219–242. http://www.stefvanbuuren.nl/publications/MIbyFCS-SMMR2007.pdf

Lee, K.J., & Carlin, J.B. (2010). Multiple Imputation for Missing Data: Fully Conditional Specification Versus Multivariate Normal Imputation. American Journal of Epidemiology, 171(5), 624-632.

Cam