Re: st: importing SPSS data file into Stata using "usepss"

From   Teresio Poggio <>
Subject   Re: st: importing SPSS data file into Stata using "usepss"
Date   Sun, 16 Oct 2011 10:21:02 +0200

people at NSD kindly released Nesstar Publisher as a free package
(without support) in 2010.
It' s a tool for data archiving and metadata editing but FILE + IMPORT
STUDY (from various formats) and FILE + EXPORT STUDY (to different
formats) may serve your purpose:

I use this package and StatTransfer and find both valuable.
StatTransfer worths its money and is up-to-date with recent
statistical software releases. While Publisher will certainly helps
with "old" datasets but I'm not certain it will with Spss19 or Stata11
files, for instance.
Publisher requires a Windows platform (MacOS: I'm satisfied in using
this package with VMware Fusion). While StatTransfer is available for
different platforms.

Best wishes

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 9:07 AM, Abu Camara <> wrote:
> Dear Statalist,
> I attempted to use the command "usepss" to import SPSS data file into
> Stata and I get the
> following message.
> **------------------------------
>  usespss using "C:\Users\Abu Camara\Desktop"
> This command works only in 32-bit Stata for Windows
> Your operating system is: Windows
> Your machine type is: PC (64-bit x86-64)
> *******************
> I am currently using Stata v11.2 on windows 7 (64bit). I do not have
> access to Stat Transfer.
> How do I solve this problem? Thanks in advance.
> --
> Best Wishes,
> Abu Camara
> *
> *   For searches and help try:
> *
> *
> *

dr. Teresio Poggio
LaboR - Dipartimento di Sociologia e ricerca sociale
Università degli studi di Trento
Via Verdi, 26
38100 Trento, Italy
Tel   +39 0461/881406