st: RE: ivreg2 bandwidth

Subject   st: RE: ivreg2 bandwidth
Date   Thu, 13 Oct 2011 16:51:25 +0100

Mirko,

It depends partly on what you think the source of autocorrelation is.

If the autocorrelation is purely the result of the fact that these are 3-day MAs - so that the autocorrelation will disappear after 3 days - then the right kernel to use is the truncated kernel (a.k.a. "Hansen-Hodrick") with a bandwidth of 3.  It's not guaranteed to be PD in finite samples, but this might not be a problem in practice in your case.

If you suspect that there is autocorrelation beyond the 3rd lag, you could try the automatic bandwidth selection option - just say bw(auto).

HTH,
Mark

registered under charity number SC000278.

Heriot-Watt University is the Sunday Times
Scottish University of the Year 2011-2012