Re: st: RE: ivreg2 bandwidth

From   Mirko <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: ivreg2 bandwidth
Date   Sat, 15 Oct 2011 17:29:19 +0100

Mark,

I was just wondering whether you could provide some references with
respect to the choice of the bandwidth and the kernel. And how this
choice affects the weak instruments tests. In few words this is what
happens when varying bandwidth and kernels

a) if I run IV regressions with non-truncated kernel and HAC standard
errors, my coefficients are all significant at 1% level (using many
specifications and IV estimators), but the instruments are weak (F
statistics ranging from 3 to 7);

b) if I run IV regressions using truncated kernel, my coefficients are
less robust across different regressions and in some other specific
cases never significant. The (AP) F statistic is now around 9.6 or
10.4, with p-values ranging from 0.001 to 0.01,  suggesting that the
instruments are OK.

I wish to know more about the choice of the kernel and bandwidth as
the story to tell very much depends upon this. Maybe is just better to
show everything?

Mirko