RE: st: Looking for courses in non-linear modelling and imputation techniques

From   "Sofia Ramiro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Looking for courses in non-linear modelling and imputation techniques
Date   Mon, 10 Oct 2011 18:02:29 +0200

Thanks, Maarten (also for the link you sent me on the subsequent e-mail!)
I want to explore non-linear relationships between outcomes that have so far
been analyzed as if their relationship was linear. For this, I need to learn
some statistical techniques to explore these relationships (besides normal
regression, or even generalized estimation equations), if I am not wrong.
This is more difficult to find in normal courses, at least the ones I have
been finding, as they focus on linear relationships between variables...

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Maarten Buis
Sent: segunda-feira, 10 de Outubro de 2011 17:42
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Looking for courses in non-linear modelling and imputation
techniques

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 5:08 PM, Sofia Ramiro wrote:
> Thanks Maarten! Yes, it is in the area of quantitative research, I am
> working in clinical research (rheumatology).

I only gave examples from my own discipline. It may be more helpful for you
to look for summer courses centered around medical/biostat fields. The
statistics is of course the same, but terminology tends to differ a lot from
discipline to discipline. Since you will most likely be communicating within
your own discipline, it pays to start learning within your own field. Later
you can diversify to other disciplines.

> I will keep an eye on next year's courses. I haven't found any
> information on non-linear modeling techniques,

That depends on what you mean with non-linear: is it non-linear in the
variables or in the parameters. Often people tend to equate this with a
particular estimator, e.g. non-linear least squares, maximum likelihood, or
generalized method of moments. So you need to specify more precisely what
you mean with that.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis