Re: st: biprobit gof test, partial observability, survey data (svy)

From   J Gonzalez <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: biprobit gof test, partial observability, survey data (svy)
Date   Sat, 8 Oct 2011 14:45:32 +0100 (BST)

Thank you for your answer.

Regarding your idea of running the goodness of fit tests on the model without the svy, I have not found support in the literature to do this. However, I found this book by Heeringa et al. (2010), where they say:

"If the logistic regression program for complex sample survey data in the chosen software system does not provide capabilities to generate summary goodness-of-fit measures, reestimate the model using the sampling weights in the system’s standard logistic regression program. The weighted estimates of parameters and predicted probabilities will be identical and serious lack of fit should be quantifiable even though the standard program tools do not correctly reflect the variances and covariances of the parameter estimates given the complex sample design". (Heeringa et al., 2010, pp. 244)

I really did not fully understand that recommendation, but now that you mention it, I am wondering if they are actually proposing just what you did in your answer (testing models without survey design adjustment). Do you think that is what they mean???
I am not sure. because they suggest to reestimate the model using "standard logistic regression program", but "using the sampling weights". So I am confused. If what they mean is running the model just with [pw=pwvar], that does not solve the problem because with such weights it is also not possible to run the gof tests either.

Any ideas?

JG

CRC Press.Heeringa, Steven G., West, Brady T., & Berglund, Patricia A. (2010). Applied Survey Data Analysis. Boca Raton, FL: Taylor & Francis Group