st: GAMFIT failure despite updated gam

From   "Matthew Baldwin, MD" <>
Subject   st: GAMFIT failure despite updated gam
Date   Thu, 29 Sep 2011 17:18:02 -0400

Despite having downloaded the most uptodate gam program that includes gam, gamfit, gambig, gamhuge, gamhug2, unzipping it, and indicating to Stata where the program is, I still get the following error message below.

Of note, I run Windows 7, and initally received an r(603) message after running the code below, and after doing what was recommended: 'update all, update swap', and now running Stata 11 as an administrator, I still cant get the gam program to work.

It worked previously on this computer with this code before it was rebuilt/reinstalled. Any help is greatly appreciated.

ssc desc gam
ssc install gam

global GAMDIR C:\ado\plus\g\
gam yvar xvar if dcyear > 2005, f(binomial) link(logit) df(xvar:3) big
GAMFIT failure, $.out not found
stats not found

Matthew Baldwin, MD
Department of Pulmonary, Allergy, and Critical Care Medicine
New York Presbyterian Hospital
Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons