Re: Re: st: import STATA output into Scientific Word

From   Christopher Baum <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: Re: st: import STATA output into Scientific Word
Date   Mon, 26 Sep 2011 03:23:10 -0400

<>
On Sep 26, 2011, at 2:33 AM, Stas wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 1:47 AM, Christopher Baum <[email protected]> wrote:
>>   Could someone know how to import  STATA output into Scientific Word? I tried copy and paste, but it did not work.
>>
>> Use something like Ben Jann's -estout- or Ian Watson's -tabout- to produce a .tex fragment, which can then be brought into a LaTeX document with
>> \include. Both are available from SSC.
>
> My experience with a collaborator who used SciWord was pretty
> disappointing. It was unable to deal with tables that were fully
> compatible with LaTeX.

As I work with a coauthor who uses SciWord (which I do not), I can appreciate that. We often have problems exchanging .tex documents which are perfectly valid LaTeX (she has more problems reading my .tex files into SciWord, which objects to various constructs). I counsel PhD students to stay far away from SciWord, as it produces non-portable LaTeX even when the 'export as portable' option is chosen. And as economists, why should we pay for something that is free, and avoids all these interchangeability problems?

Kit