Re: st: import .xls data into STATA

From   Wu Zhang <wuzhang50@yahoo.com>
Subject   Re: st: import .xls data into STATA
Date   Sat, 24 Sep 2011 15:39:53 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you all!
----- Original Message -----
From: Roger Newson <r.newson@imperial.ac.uk>
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Sent: Friday, September 23, 2011 10:15 AM
Subject: Re: st: import .xls data into STATA

No, you CANNOT download Stat/Transfer for free, unless you want a trial
version, which deliberately throws out a few observations in each
transfer. Stat/Transfer (like Stata) is proprietary software, and the
company (Circle Systems) has to make a living. So, to use a proper
Stat/Transfer, which does not throw out observations at random, you have
to buy it from its authorized distributors.

To read .xls datasets into Stata wirthout Stat/Transfer, either write
the Excel spreadsheet to a generic format (as suggested), or (if you
have Stata Version 12) use -import excel-.

Best wishes

Roger

Roger B Newson BSc MSc DPhil
Lecturer in Medical Statistics