Re: st: Assistance regarding a maximum likelihood model

From   Maarten Buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Assistance regarding a maximum likelihood model
Date   Wed, 14 Sep 2011 08:49:55 +0200

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 3:23 AM,  wrote:
> I am completing a study on contributions of volunteer hours in a not-for-profit organisation, factoring in a number of motives and also controls (i.e. time constraints). These hours have been disaggregated into different activities, with potentially different motives for the hours in each).
> I am not a statistics genius but I'm trying to get my head around the model. I'm looking at a maximum likelihood model in order to try to predict where someone would sit (in terms of hours contributed). <snip>

Your model looks like a finite mixture model, which has already been
implemented by Partha Deb in the -fmm- program which you can get by
typing in Stata -ssc install fmm-. He gave a presentation on it at the
2008 North American Stata Users' meeting. You can download the slides
at: <>

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie