Re: st: spmap guidance: Two variables resulting in shaded and sized circles centered on lon/lat

From   James Sams <sams.james@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: spmap guidance: Two variables resulting in shaded and sized circles centered on lon/lat
Date   Sun, 11 Sep 2011 23:54:43 -0500

On Sunday, September 11, 2011, Daniel wrote:
> James, you can use the tmap  "ssc install tmap"
>
> tmap propsymbol population, ///
> x(x) y(y) ///
> map("Proportional population") ///
> scolor(yellow)

I'm afraid not. This gets me circles of the size of the population on the
appropriate location, but does not shade them according to the second variable.
I've tried getting tmap to work as well with the addplot command, but it didn't
really work. Perhaps I was using it wrong?  I was also getting random
unspecified 198 error that I could not track down in the source or with trace.
Thanks  though.

I should mention that the "area" and "split" options to spmap are close to what
I want.

-- james