st: spmap guidance: Two variables resulting in shaded and sized circles centered on lon/lat

From   James Sams <sams.james@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: spmap guidance: Two variables resulting in shaded and sized circles centered on lon/lat
Date   Sun, 11 Sep 2011 22:40:19 -0500

I'm trying to use spmap to create a graph where each geographic entity for
which I have data is represented by a circle centered over its central latitude
and longitude sized by the population of data I have in that geographic entity
and shaded according to the magnitude of another variable. So, the data is:

Let's say the dataset to map looks like:
geo_id (specifically 5 digit county-level fips codes)
LON
LAT
id (generated by shp2dta)
population
variable_to_shade_by

The coordinates file is uscoord (also generated by shp2dta) and has variables:
_ID, _X, and _Y

Is spmap the appropriate tool to do this? I don't see how to get the options to
interact in the appropriate manner. Some pointers in the right direction would
be much appreciated.

--
James Sams
sams.james@gmail.com