Re: st: Creating a second output data set

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Creating a second output data set
Date   Fri, 9 Sep 2011 23:30:28 +0100

Too much survey sampling in this for me to understand what you want.
Someone else will probably help.

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 11:08 PM, Bryan Sayer <[email protected]> wrote:
> [...]
> distinguish it from "postfile data set".
>
> The memory data set is the input for this calculation.  Each observation in
> the memory data set is one PSU.  The postfile data set consists of each
> possible pair of PSUs from the memory data set, thus the number of
> observations is the combination of _N taken 2 at a time from the memory data
> set (without replacement).  The memory data set will gain one variable, the
> marginal probability (margprob ), which is the sum of the joint
> probabilities involving each PSU.
>
> Can I act on margprob in the memory data set one observation at a time?  I
> presume I would generate a new variable first, assigning it a value of zero
> before the loops start
>
> Basically, in the loop, margprob looks like this:
>
> replace margprob[J] = margprob[J] + jointprob
> replace margprob[K] = margprob[K] + jointprob
>
> Where J and K are the observation number of the memory data set.
>
> Does this work?
>
> Bryan Sayer
> Monday to Friday, 8:30 to 5:00
> Phone: (614) 442-7369
> FAX:  (614) 442-7329
> [email protected]
>

> On 9/9/2011 5:25 PM, Nick Cox wrote:
>>
>> Your code shades between Stata and incomplete Stata, as you will know.
>>
>> However, a key principle here is that -postfile- never sees the locals
>> in your calling program. It just gets passed their values. That's not
>> a problem. It's the way to get round the basic fact that one program's
>> locals are invisible to another program.
>>
>> Also these two lines definitely won't work
>>
>>        local N_total
>>        egen double `N_total'=total(`count')
>>
>> The first defines the local N_total as blank, which is equivalent to
>> not defining it at all. So, Stata will read the second line as
>>
>> egen double = total(`count')
>>
>> which will fail, as no new variable name is supplied.
>>
>> That said, there is no need to create a variable just to hold a total.
>>
>> su `count', meanonly
>>
>> will leave r(sum) in memory and the value of that can be put somewhere
>> appropriate, into a local or a scalar or directly into another file.
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 8:49 PM, Bryan Sayer<[email protected]>  wrote:
>>
>>> So I am still a bit confused about how -postfile- works when I want to
>>> preserve the data in memory.  Specifically, how I generate the variables
>>> that I want in my -postfile- output versus the new one I do want to add
>>> the data set in memory.
>>>
>>> I'm thinking I want to use a local (maybe macro?) variable for my results
>>> that go to -postfile-?  In other words, how do I distinguish variables
>>> between the two files.
>>>
>>> Also, how do I accumulate results for my new variable that goes in my
>>> memory
>>> data set.  I need to accumulate a sum for two observations in memory on
>>> each
>>> post to -postfile-.
>>>
>>> Here is what I have so far, but with the last part calculating the
>>> probability (note that the joint probability calculation should be on one