Re: st: My stata won't -tab- with my value labels - why?

From   José Maria Pacheco de Souza <jmpsouza@usp.br>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: My stata won't -tab- with my value labels - why?
Date   Fri, 09 Sep 2011 20:55:41 -0300

Em 09/09/2011 18:56, Brandon Olszewski escreveu:
Hi all:
I'm frustrated because I can't get -tab- output with the value labels,
but instead, only their numeric codes. Here's a simplified example...
Let's say I've got the var<female>  coded as 0 and 1.
..
label define 0 "male" 1 "female"
tab fem, sort mis

...produces -tab- output that doesn't include the labels "male" and
"female", but instead, 0&  1. I want a labeled table of frequencies
(sorted, and showing missing observations, in this case) so that I
don't have to manually insert the labels.
Clearly with this example it doesn't matter too much. But with the
dataset I've got, it is consequential.
This should be simple. Can anyone help me understand what I'm doing
wrong, and how to fix it?
Thanks,
Brandon

Dear Brandon:
I think that is missing the name of the label and, after label define and before tab fem, the command to "glue" the label in your variable:

label define labelname 0 "male" 1 "female" . "missing"
label values female labelname
tab fem, sort mis

Regards,
josé maria

--
Jose Maria Pacheco de Souza
Professor Titular (aposentado), Colaborador Senior