Re: st: SPSS to STATA

From   Alan Acock <acock@mac.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: SPSS to STATA
Date   Fri, 09 Sep 2011 09:28:31 -0700

If you are affiliated in any way with a university that has a Stata Grad plan, you can buy Stat Transfer at a greatly reduced price. Check out

When I started using Stata I contacted them because my campus was not part of the grad plan and they made it very simple to join this plan.

If you are in SPSS and use 'save as' to save a file as a Stata dataset, you might want to check a couple things. The last time I did this, the file was stored inefficiently. You will want to run compress from within Stata. Also, a Stata convention is to keep all variables in lower case. You may want to take advantage of the user written command, renvars, to make all the variable lower case. Others may have observed other problems.

--Alan
Alan Acock
acock@mac.com