Re: st: xtgee for skewed data

From   Nick Cox <njcoxstata@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: xtgee for skewed data
Date   Thu, 25 Aug 2011 12:15:01 +0100

The discussion started by William Gould at

http://blog.stata.com/2011/08/22/use-poisson-rather-than-regress-tell-a-friend/

seems relevant. You have a massive spike in the distribution. No
transformation will much affect that, as by Murphy's theorem a spike
maps to a spike, and in any case there would be the usual argument
about what to do with zeros. However, (importantly different here)  a
logarithmic link might help a lot.

The key substantive issue is whether all the people with zeros really
belong in the same model as the others.

Nick