Re: st: string function

From   Nick Cox <>
Subject   Re: st: string function
Date   Wed, 24 Aug 2011 11:59:19 +0100

Solutions to all these could be written as -egen- functions or Mata functions.

Here I focus on "official Stata only" solutions.

First question is discussed in

Nicholas J. Cox
Stata tip 98: Counting substrings within strings
The Stata Journal 11(2): 318-320

length("abcdaf") - length(subinstr("abcdaf", "a", "", .))

Last two questions

any of "a", "b", "c"

max(strpos("abcdaf","a"), strpos("abcdaf", "b"), strpos("abcdaf", "c")) > 0

all of "a", "b", "c"

min(strpos("abcdaf","a"), strpos("abcdaf", "b"), strpos("abcdaf", "c")) > 0

If you had a long list of candidates, I would do something like this:

gen found = 0

qui foreach letter in s o m e t h i n g {
       replace found = max(found, strpos(strvar, "`letter'") > 0)

where for "max" substitute "min" as needed.

The mapping max <-> any, min <-> all is discussed in