Re: st: Useful labelling of dummy variables following logit

From   Maarten Buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Useful labelling of dummy variables following logit
Date   Wed, 24 Aug 2011 12:30:27 +0200

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Tim Evans wrote:
> I'm running a logistic regression analysis (logit) in Stata11.2and capturing the output in a log file to which I intend to refer to even when not using Stata. However, the dummy variables in the table output is not user friendly in that I need to be looking at Stata to decode the dummy variables and I wanted to know whether there was a way to get Stata to label up the dummy variables? I'm using the following command:
> xi: logit Early1  i.eth2 age i.invsurg i.region i.dep if dep!=9 & sex==2, or

If you are not going to use post-estimation commands like -margins-
than I would just create the dummies myself, that way I have complete
control over how they are named. This is what I used to do in Stata <
11, I hardly ever used -xi-.

If you want to use post-estimation commands like -margins-, I would
leave out -xi- but otherwise leave the command unchanged thus using
the factor variable notation, see -help fvvarlist-. The output will be
a bit clearer, but it will still not contain labels. You could use
-label list- below your regression to add a "legend" below your

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen