Re: st: behaviour of locals

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: behaviour of locals
Date   Wed, 24 Aug 2011 11:34:28 +0100

This is not an "issue". It is an intended consequence, and precisely
what is meant by -local-. Local macros have meaning only locally,
meaning within the same program, very wide sense, which means within a

1. program, strict sense

2. do file

3. do file editor contents

4. interactive session.

So, if you run a program or do file, a local macro defined in that
program or do file should be considered to disappear once that
terminates and in any case to be utterly invisible outside it even
while it is running.

There is no contradiction here. It is merely that your interactive
session is not over until you exit Stata.

Your possibilities include passing the value of a local to a do file
or a program as an argument, using a global instead, or redefining a
local within each program, wide sense, that you use.

The behaviour that you expect would make Stata very difficult to
manage as to use -local-s at all within your own code you would have
keep to track of -local- definitions within all the programs that you
run, including those that define or are called by official commands.

Nick