st: RE: Power calculation for competing risks regression

From   "Hackney, David" <David_Hackney@urmc.rochester.edu>
Subject   st: RE: Power calculation for competing risks regression
Date   Mon, 22 Aug 2011 11:29:28 -0400

Hello all,

Does anyone have advice on power (or sample size) calculations for competing risks (stcrreg) in Stata? We did a competing risks regression and found that the HR for the variable of interest was non-significant and the reviewers (reasonably) asked for a post-hoc power analysis to provide support for our conclusion. There is no competing risk model specific power calculation which appears to be available, though I didn't know if one of the other power commands could be modified to accommodate competing events, or if a user-written program existed (I couldn't find one with the search function). Thanks.

David Hackney

PS.  My apologies if I have sent this multiple times, I'm just not sure if I have done it correctly.  Thanks.

David N Hackney MD, MS
Assistant Professor
Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology