Re: st: -use- from a compressed file

From   Phil Schumm <pschumm@uchicago.edu>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: -use- from a compressed file
Date   Thu, 18 Aug 2011 19:12:01 -0500

On Aug 18, 2011, at 3:06 PM, Daniel Feenberg wrote:
> The Stata knowledge base includes a note on reading ASCII data from a pipe, which would allow one to read a file without storing the decompressed version on disk. We have never had success with the method shown there - I always get the error message "mypipe.pip: not found". We have terabytes of data that compresses very well, so this was always a disappointment. We'd be interested in hearing if it works for anyone else.

I've had good luck reading in data from a named pipe with both -use- and -infile-.  I just looked at the FAQ you referenced (http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/unix/pipe.html), and this is exactly what I have done (except that on OS X, I use -mkfifo- rather than -mknod- to create the FIFO).  Are you getting the "not found" error from the OS when trying to use myprog (as described in the FAQ) or from Stata when trying to read the file?

-- Phil