Re: st: xttest2 for N<T

From   Christopher Baum <>
To   "" <>
Subject   Re: st: xttest2 for N<T
Date   Tue, 16 Aug 2011 08:54:44 -0400

On Aug 16, 2011, at 2:33 AM, Elii wrote:

> I have a panel of N=20 and T=28 and I want to test for cross sectional dependence. I read that Pesaran's test is valid only for N>T and LM test is applicable in my case. However, I have a problem after estimating with FE. I take the following:
> xttest2
> Correlation matrix of residuals is singular.
> not possible with test

Elii and I communicated privately about this. It turns out that the covariance matrix of residuals from her FE model is nearly singular, and xttest2 circa 2004 had a criterion for the determinant that was flagged. I relaxed the criterion, so that it now works on her dataset. The revised version is available from SSC. Ultimately the routine should be rewritten in Mata.

                              An Introduction to Stata Programming  |