st: replacement

From   "Gannaway Jack WWG HWWD" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: replacement
Date   Tue, 16 Aug 2011 09:59:41 +0100

Statalisters,

I have a table where each observation has a letter as the value for a
number of the variables, e.g.

Ob v1 v2 v3
1  a  a  b
2  c	d  a
3  b	c  b

For each variable, there is a unique set of numbers which correspond to
the letters:

Var a b c d
V1  0 3 5 9
V2  0 1 2 5
V3  0 1 5 10

Can anyone explain a neat way of replacing all the letters with their
relevent numeric score?  I know I could just do a messy and long
replace, but the score table is liable to change in the future and I
want a system where I can just point to a different input, rather than
manually re-write the replace command.

Many thanks in advance.

Jack Gannaway

-------------------------------
      Jack Gannaway
        Economic Adviser | Department for Work & Pensions, Caxton House,
Tothill Street, London, SW1H 9D
        [email protected] | Tel: 02074 495704 (x 65704)

This document is strictly confidential and is intended only for use by the addressee.

If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or other

action taken in reliance of the information contained in this e-mail is strictly prohibited.

Any views expressed by the sender of this message are not necessarily those of the Department

for Work and Pensions.

If you have received this transmission in error, please use the reply function to tell us

and then permanently delete what you have received.

This email was scanned for viruses by the Department for Work and Pensions' anti-virus services and on leaving the Department was found to be virus free.

Please note: Incoming and outgoing e-mail messages are routinely monitored for compliance

with our policy on the use of electronic communications.