st: Updates for -ciplot- and -savesome- available from SSC

From   Nick Cox <>
Subject   st: Updates for -ciplot- and -savesome- available from SSC
Date   Tue, 16 Aug 2011 09:53:16 +0100

Thanks to the ever-industrious Kit Baum, updates for two packages of
mine are available from SSC. To install or update, use -ssc- or
-adoupdate- as appropriate.

-ciplot- is a convenience command for plotting confidence intervals
for means. Stata 8.1 is required.

In Marc
Kaulisch reported a problem with blanking out axis titles in -ciplot-.
This is now fixed. At the same time the help file has been updated to
include a recommendation to use -statsby-, which is a more
satisfactory general approach to this problem. At the same time, I
remain happy if -ciplot- gives users what they want.

-savesome- is a convenience command for saving just some of the data
to a new file. Stata 7.0 is required.

-savesome- is in one sense trivial. This is the code in its entirety:

*! NJC 1.0.1 9 August 2011
*! NJC 1.0.0 25 April 2001
program def savesome
        version 7.0
        syntax [varlist] [if] [in] using/ [ , * ]
        qui {
                if `"`if'`in'"' != "" { keep `if' `in' }
                keep `varlist'
        save `"`using'"', `options'

Still, -savesome- evidently has some fans who like it. Kenneth L.
Simons suggested a valuable fix to handle spaces in filenames
properly. (I am ancient enough never to insert a space in my
filenames, but I know that and why people do it.)

A fuller list of my stuff that is in the public domain is also
available from SSC in -njc_stuff-.