Re: st: xtabond2 and consistency using twostep robust

From   Manhal Mohammad Ali <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: xtabond2 and consistency using twostep robust
Date   Mon, 8 Aug 2011 02:37:16 +0100

Hi,

two step GMM results in more asymptotic efficient estimates than one
step. The bias in the two step standard errors are corrected by
Windmeijer's (2005) correction procedure. Infact if you read like
Baltagi's (2005) textbook I think chapter 8 or 9 on dynamic panel
models also Hayashi (2010) you will see the construction of two step
GMM is different from one step. Two step uses the the consistent
variance co variance matrix from first step GMM. Since the
construction of two and one step GMM are different (both one and two
step use different weighting matrices) it is likely that estimates
will be different. By the way both one and two step are consistent,
but later is more asymptotically efficient. Earlier researchers used
to make inference from one step standard errors since two step
standard errors were biased downwards. But recently due to
Windmeijer's (2005) correction procedure researchers prefer to use two
step (current number of citations from this paper is 1110). If I
remember correctly one step is also equivalent to 2SLS. Check on
Cameron and Trivedi  (2005) chapter 21 on this.

I hope this helps.

Manhal Ali.