st: semi-random sampling

From   Ekaterina Hertog <>
Subject   st: semi-random sampling
Date   Sun, 07 Aug 2011 00:23:04 +0400

Dear all,
I need to take a subsample of observations from a big dataset making sure that the people in the subsample have a given geographic and age profile. I need to make sure that, say, 50% of people in the subsample come from the capital and 50% from other towns. Within each of these 2 locations I want to preserve a certain age structure: say in a city: 3 people ages 23, 4 people aged 24 … Within those geographic and age profiles I want to select the observations randomly. Is it possible to do that in Stata 11? Any thoughts on how I would go about it?
Looking forward to hearing from you,
Sincerely yours,