Re: st: compare regression coefficients between 2 groups (SUEST) across time and across subgroups in a data set

From   "Samuel R. Lucas" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: compare regression coefficients between 2 groups (SUEST) across time and across subgroups in a data set
Date   Tue, 2 Aug 2011 09:17:36 -0700

I believe you would get the correct test by estimating one model with
both Turks and Germans, using appropriate interactions to estimate
Turk-specific and German-specific coefficients.  Then test the
equality of the coefficients you want to explore.  So, you'd estimate:

logit poor german turk german*women turk*women german*young
      turk*young, nocons

You use -nocons- so that "german" is the intercept for Germans and
'turk' is the intercept for turks.

Then, if you want, you test german*women and turk*women coefficients.

If you estimate separate equations each equation will probably be
calibrated differently, rendering any cross-equation tests unclear
(i.e., the coefficient of .73 may or may not really be larger than the
coefficient .32 estimated in the other equation.  Think
currencies--which is larger, 20 dollars or 15 Euros?  Without some way
of calibrating them for comparison, it is impossible to know.).

Hope this helps.
Sam